Friday, April 10, 2020

5 Things I Have Took for Granted Before Coronavirus (Part 1)

“But actually, you don’t really get affected by this Coronavirus, right?” 

My writing mentor asked me in a video call on Tuesday evening, as she would give me some suggestions on what to do during this pandemic times. I am thinking for a few seconds, and I nodded in doubt. 

I am currently working as a Personal Assistant. While my boss’ business is basically not operating in this moment (she has some ventures in tourism field), she still asks me to come whenever possible, then we will arrange work matters for 4-5 hours a day. Being a businesswoman for years, she is trying to be in the regular busy state even if our movement is a lot limited these days. 

So why do myself feel like tired all the time, even when my working hours has been cut to almost half - and supposedly allow me to rest more? 

One of the main reasons is, I hate uncertainty.

I hate not knowing what I am facing, yet when I read more about the things that going on, I still hate it because I still don’t know when it will be quit.

When I was on Tinder last year, I was totally fine if I met a jerk. I know for sure things won’t be continued even if it’s just a friendship. However, when I found myself spending time with a “nice” guy who treated me like a princess but then suddenly ghosted me or blocked me, I feel suffocated. 

“What did I do wrong? What should I do to make things get better?”

And I could never find the answer.

When the news about Coronavirus blown up in Indonesia in early March (we are always late, as usual), I was being grumpy for some days. Since February, I have imagined that I will spend Good Friday holiday shopping at Chatuchak Market, cruising on the Chaophraya river, and riding the train for a day trip to Ayutthaya... I have planned the journey as a gift to myself because I have finished my novel draft. But all of the sudden, I decided to not going to the mall again, canceled my gym membership, and ended up crying in a weekend. 

Fast forward to Silence Day which was extended, I prepared myself with pile of books, as well as loads of snacks and fruits. It was my first time celebrating Silence Day in Bali, and  despite the fact that I was indeed amazed by the sky full of bright stars (my friend captured the milky way as you can see here), I couldn’t even brace myself to stay in a hotel where there are too many people I don’t know.

And after two days completely not going anywhere, I was glad that I still sane. 

“Prima, it was just two days! We’ve been in lockdown for more than ten days!”

Relax, my European fellas. I cannot pretend that I know how you feel because I don’t. But, look. Since I decided to write this book in the second week of January, I have been particularly spending almost ninety percent of my spare time in my room. I have been so fed up with my day pyjamas and my home-working space, I even hate seeing my pantry until I bought some lavenders in the pot to spice it up a bit. It doesn’t work, the lavenders is now crawling to death as it complies my mental breakdown.

Only on one of those days (we start to forget the days and dates I assume), when I tried to water my lavenders at my room terrace, I finally realised that there are some things I took for granted during the normal days. Correction, so many! And among those many, I chose five that, for me, most essentials. Let’s see if we have same thoughts about these things below:


1. Space
Image credit.

Let’s say in general most work force in my age works at office, or in a co-working space. When we think about ‘space’, we think about our bedroom, or if you are lucky enough to afford a house in this age then congratulations, as our charging station. We are not supposed to spend all day long there, because what we do to charge our mental is anything else than work. Now that we are forced to stay in between these four walls for more than our rest time, we become bored and stressful. 

So these days, I clean up my room more often than usual, because I HAVE TO spend almost 24 hours here. It makes me feel better, even if just a bit, because I feel like I have done a responsible job to take care of myself. And finally, after one book, a fundraising project on the run, and administrative works from office that can be done remotely, I am being more grateful for this space. Evidently, my definition of ‘space’ can be altered to a place where I can be productive. 

I also wasn’t aware how much I crave for emotional space until I heard my married friends being overwhelmed with their spouse or their kids being #stayathome all the time. For you who are in a relationship, please understand that the discussion about personal space is not taboo. It’s about being respectful yet still maintaining the meaningful interaction. This Coronavirus moment reminded me on how I demanded my own bedroom to my mom when I graduated from bachelor and had to return to her house. Human have a constant need of personal space, there is nothing wrong with that, and I hope this time make us regard others’ space too. 

2. Financial Literacy
Image credit.

When I started my #SaveBali fundraising project, someone commented, “isn’t it the right time for those people (the prospective beneficiaries) to use their savings?”

I whispered, “IF they have savings — and I don’t even have mine!”

But guys, really. Financial literacy has becoming hot topic, and if you are following it, you are fortunate enough, unlike seventy percent of informal workers in Indonesia, and maybe the rest twenty percent of workers like me. At least, we understand the value of money — more than merely the knowledge to save some money for ‘emergency purpose’.

The implications of this knowledge is beyond than how much income we earn every month. We live with vision in mind, so that we don’t spend all of it in one day. We separate it to some stations: bills, charity, pleasure, and so on. Most important thing, we see the choices of how to make the expense worth; and we hold this control. Especially in these difficult times, we are more mindful on how to prioritise what to buy (and what not). 

to be continued...

1 comment:

  1. You should always clean your house properly and if you are unable to do so then you can hire a maid from housekeeper toronto because they will provide you the most experienced house keeper. Also you don't need to think about their hiring cost because they will provide you the best services just at a reasonable price.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...